Monday, August 16, 2010

How do I deal with my boyfriend's new job?

My boyfriend just got a shiny new job at a local electronic store after months of unemployment. At first I was really excited for him at first until he started telling me about the job. The first thing he told me was that it is 100% commission. The second thing he told me was that he works from open to close on weekends, which just happens to be a 13 hour shift and also just happens to be the only time I have off throughout the week.


I feel like he should realize that I supported him, missed a chance to go visit my mother (who lives literally on the other side of the country), let him play his video game as much as he wanted (World of Warcraft, but don't let that sway your answers), all so that he could get a job that would allow us to spend optimum time together.


When I told him that I was still happy that he got a job but that I was not completely comfortable with the idea of not brining home a steady paycheck and disappointed that I'd worked so hard to avoid this situation and we ended up in it anyways, he told me that I was being selfish and called me a ****.


I don't know what I'm going to do. You know, he doesn't seem to understand that this feels like if my right hand up and moved to Florida and nothing I seem to do makes him see. He says that I should learn to deal with it but I don't know how.


If anyone has any advise or comforting words, I would really appreciate it.How do I deal with my boyfriend's new job?
I'm sure he'd prefer not working on the weekends but after months without employment, he's gotta take what he can get.





Put yourself in his shoes. He's probably torn his hair out over these past months trying to find a job, ANY kind of job. 2/3 of that angst is that a job means money and money gets you food and lodging. But the other third? That other third is because he desperately wants to help you, his faithful girlfriend, pay for you two to stay together under the same roof. I'm sure he knows how hard you worked to support both of you and it must have been killing him inside.





When he finally got a job, and a chance to help you again, he probably was expecting you to be ecstatic. When he heard your half-hearted reaction, his response was the pent-up frustration of months of being somewhat less then a man in his eyes.





It's not the end of the world. You guys still have nights, right? Plus, once he's a little more in-tune with the rest of the employees at his new job, he probably can swap shifts with the weekday employees every so often.





I realize this is tough, but he's not locked into this job forever. Look on the bright side, he can use this job as a way to bring in some money while still looking for a better job with better hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment