Friday, August 20, 2010

My boyfriend's dog just got hit by a car?

Here's the full story:





About an hour and a half ago, he called me and was crying. His year-and-a-half old lab mix had run from the yard onto a main street and really got blasted by a car going about 40 mph. She had serious injuries and on her way to the hospital died. She's had a history of running off, and no matter how hard I trained with her to keep her close to me while we went out, she refused.





I've had many labs from my childhood til now, and sometimes when they're younger they get that crazed look like they're really happy and anxious at the same time. My current lab will chase his tail like there's no tomorrow. When his dog would get ready to bolt, she'd look the same way. I know she was happy and excited. Crossing a major road and getting killed was not her intention.





However, she was never properly trained by his family (this was their first dog) and wasn't trained fully (they adopted another when she was a year old and still untrained).





I think that the pup tugged too hard on the leash and his little sister (8 yrs. old) couldn't hold on any longer. He does not live at home with them (lives at school) and found out over the phone that his mom carried the dying pup from the street and tried to get it help ASAP.





He has never experienced losing a dog. There have been too many close calls though where I gunned it after that dog into the street and through the neighborhood barefoot. I'm not always around though to help out because I hardly stay over there.





I want to know if anyone has any advice to how to deal with this. I want to be able to comfort him, but it is such an unusual way to lose your first real pet. My first dog died naturally of old age. I can't imagine what he feels like, or what his eight-year-old sister feels.


Additonally:


After classes, I babysit her sometimes. I also look after their other new puppy, and I was wondering if I should bring MY puppy (who is familiar with the family/dogs) over to play so that the other does not feel so confused, and that the girl is not as sad.





All advice welcome!


Thank you everyone who took time to read this.My boyfriend's dog just got hit by a car?
WOW THATS SO SAD...My boyfriend's dog just got hit by a car?
Yes, it would be a good idea to bring your dog over for the puppy to play together. As far as helping your boyfriend, just try %26amp; talk with him about it and always try to remember the fun they had. Since you have lost previos pets, you know it will just take him some time to deal with it.
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.


I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.


I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,


';It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here.';


I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea


You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.


I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.


I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.


I walked with you towards the house as you fumbled for your key.


I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said, ';It's me.';


You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair


I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.


It's possible for me to be so near you every day


To say to you with certainty, ';I never went away.';


You sat there very quietly, then smiled; I think you knew...


In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.


The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning


And say ';good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning.';


And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,


I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.


I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.


Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.


~Author Unknown~
So sorry !
Yes, that would be fine.





Broach the subject of why young children shouldn't be walking huge adult dogs with his family, but use ';kid gloves'; when doing it. I see this ALL the time. The children CANNOT control big dogs. I really think people, when getting dogs, are only concerned if the dogs are good with kids...not if the kids are good with or can handle dogs. They need to start thinking about that.





';She's had a history of running off, and no matter how hard I trained with her to keep her close to me while we went out, she refused.';





The dog should be leashed, and that family should have done a better job, being it was THEIR dog. If they ever use you for a reference, be honest about what happened and how they never really bothered training the dogs should the shelters or breeders call you.





I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but hopefully his parents will never get another dog. It really ticks me off that they never bothered with training, and a dog suffered the ultimate consequences, as did their 8 year old child, thinking SHE'S at fault for this. The fault lies with the parents.





I had told a friend I'd be a reference for her..I didn't say I'd be a GOOD reference. Either the deaf association, or her social worker, was looking to get her a companion dog. She's deaf. We also had a mutual friend do the same(give a bad reference). We both had misgivings about it. This mutual friend owns a cat, and I own dogs. Well, we never actually TOLD each other we were going to give a bad reference until AFTER we sent them off in the mail. We saved a dog from her temper, her neglect, etc. by doing this. This friend is deaf, and we weren't trying to be mean, but after her dog sitting for other friends of ours, no way in the WORLD should she have pets. They weren't taken out to potty ONCE during the several days she stayed at their house. The house reeked, filth everywhere, etc. Dogs tore things up, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment