Friday, August 20, 2010

Is my poem any good (please read i worked really hard on it)?

This is a poem, a true story, about a person at my school in my grade...well read on I swear every bit of it is true please don't make fun of me. But you can critique me to your extent! Here's my poem thanks for taking the time to read it! Also any title suggestions? I have this one but I'm not sure about it...





For the Boys Who Play the Drums and Dance to Music


That鈥檚 how long I鈥檝e waited for


For you to know, for you to care


I can鈥檛 stop


Like a drug


I鈥檓 addicted to my infatuations


Oh, I try to stop, believe me I do


But I can鈥檛, not physically, let alone emotionally


I know everything


Your favorite color (green), your drum kit (red), your friends (M and E), your life


When, why did this happen?


Why is someone drawn to someone in this way?


Why does that someone not feel the same?


I don鈥檛 know, not at all


All the way back to kindergarten


We were best friends or so I thought


Was I thinking too far ahead?


Memories get foggy


First, second grade


I was the only girl at the boy鈥檚 lunch table


And you were always sitting next to me


Third grade is too murky, don鈥檛 remember


Fourth and fifth grade, faithful emails to each other


Even when we were separated by 1000 miles


We were still friends and I could hear your voice through the screen


Sixth grade, nothing


Seventh grade, snowball dancing but you were the only one whose hands felt right around my waist


Eighth grade, now, that dirty trick with you and your friend


Learned of before, but you backed out when I chewed you out


Through text of course


Then the country club dance


Grinding, not with me, aw hell no


With everyone else, not me


Did I not try because I didn鈥檛 want to, or because you would have never done it?


So where does that leave us, at that awkward standstill because I


Have yet to know


Where does the road lead?


To no good end


Friends are hopeful


I鈥檝e tried to move on


But when will I grasp the fact that you don鈥檛 think about me like that?


When I have a boyfriend?


When I have my first kiss, and it鈥檚 not with you?


Or maybe it will be, it probably won鈥檛


I can dream can鈥檛 I?


Can I, I don鈥檛 know


What is this, love or lust?


How do I know lust?


I don鈥檛


But maybe just maybe


No it hasn鈥檛, won鈥檛, can鈥檛


The glimmer of hope gets fainter each day


When does love become unrequited?


When you realize that love is for a lifetime, but passion lives foreverIs my poem any good (please read i worked really hard on it)?
Very ';from the heart'; which is what poetry is supposed to be.





It also asks a lot of rhetorical questions. That is a favorite technique of mine. Especially when I am free writing. People usually tell me to change some of the questions into non-questions. They are probably right but I still like to do it.





Separated stanzas would be add clarification and meaning. Trimming it would also make it more powerful. Often something said with less words carries more weight.





Removing parts that aren't remembered would help focus on what is remembered. Take out third grade and sixth grade.





For a title, I could not think of anything great tonight. Just these:


Where does this road lead?


This Road


Boys who play red drums


Fighting with myself





Best wishes. Keep it up.Is my poem any good (please read i worked really hard on it)?
See what happens when one basket has all your hopes


Be friends with all the crowd and you will have all the folks

No comments:

Post a Comment